Approx. 2 Miles
Are you tough enough to “escape extinction”? Find out as you test your balance, strength, stamina and mental perseverance while confronting up to 42 obstacles along an approx. 2 mile course, including 21 Ninja Warrior style obstacles. This is not a race and will not be timed; the goal is to “escape extinction” by conquering obstacles. The 42 obstacles on Wild Ninja are broken down into fourteen 3-obstacle sets where points are accumulated as each obstacle is completed. If you fail one of the 3 obstacles, you can still attempt the others in that set (animal challenge) for points. The 42 obstacles are spread over a 2 mile rugged terrain course around the perimeter of the Metro Richmond Zoo! Obstacles represent challenges encountered by endangered animal species, these obstacles are not for the faint of heart.
Contestants receive points for completing obstacles with varying levels of difficulty and their “survival success” will be determined by measuring their points accumulated utilizing the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species’ nine categories which are used for classifying species at high risk of global extinction: Not Evaluated, Data Deficient, Extinct, Extinct in the Wild, Critically Endangered, Endangered, Vulnerable, Near Threatened, and Least Concern.”
All of the participants who score at least 30 points (successfully complete 30 of the obstacles) will earn a chance at our 40′ rope climb. Participants who do not qualify for the free rope climb, can climb for a small fee if they choose.
Next Race day countdown
Run wild 5k
Wild Ninja Details
- Metro Richmond Zoo
- Around the perimeter of the zoo!
- Course terrain makeup (gravel 10%, mulch 25%, dirt 60%, pavement 5%).
- Twice a year in spring and fall
- Next Fall Race:
- Saturday, September 24th 2022 at 8:00am
- Next Spring Race:
- Saturday, May 6th 2023 at 8:00am
- Entry into the competition
- 42 tiered obstacles
- Race bib and computed results (not a timed event)
- Finishers Medal
- Event t-shirt
- FREE same day ticket into zoo
- Post race refreshments
- Support Animal Conservation
- Ninja competitors must be at least 8 years old to participate.
- Participants ages 8-14 must be accompanied by a Ninja ticketed adult or Full-Access Spectator with them throughout the entire course.
- At the start, middle, and end of the race.
Two Route Options
- Red Route starts with Animal Challenge 1
- Blue Route starts with Animal Challenge 8
- Parking is FREE. Please follow parking attendants as they will guide all runners/spectators into a designated parking lot.
Don’t go extinct by getting defeated by our ninja obstacles! Contestants who complete all obstacles successfully will earn the title “Unlikely To Become Extinct In The Near Future” and earn entry into their next race free.
Let’s Go! It’s time to get “evaluated.” Gather your friends and prepare to represent your “species” to prove that you won’t go extinct!
- Run Wild Ninja is for anyone 8 years and older. (participants ages 8-14 need a Ninja ticketed adult competing with them)
- 42 OCR or Ninja Warrior type obstacles!
- Not a timed Race – Run Wild Ninja is measured on obstacle completion.
- Obstacles will close at 2:30pm and all competitors must finish by this time.
- *Participants get a free ticket to visit the zoo on race day.
“The IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria are intended to be an easily and widely understood system for classifying species at high risk of global extinction.”
Run Wild Ninja Team Competition
Gather your “herd” and prepare to face other herds in this battle against extinction. Herds will migrate together where they can support each other as they individually face each obstacle, earning points for each obstacle they complete. Any herd of at least 2 men and 2 women will automatically be entered into our team competition where the overall score of the 2 highest men and 2 highest women in each herd will be combined to reach the team’s score. Max team size is 15 ninjas.
Zoo Member Discount
If you are a current Zoo Member, follow the prompt at the end of registration to receive $5 off your entry.
Zoo Members must provide their membership card for validation on race day at the check-in; otherwise you will be charged the remaining $5 fee before race entry.
Ninja Kid Discount
Ninja Kid Discount is available to all participant kids ages 8-14.
Discount – $15 less than Wild Ninja tickets
*Participants ages 8-14 must be accompanied by a Ninja ticketed adult or Full-Access Spectator with them throughout the entire course.
Early Registration Discount
Sign up early for the best discount!
Sign up for any 2 Run Wild events and receive a $10 discount. (only one event shirt is provided)
Sign up for all 3 Run Wild events and receive a $15 discount. (only one event shirt is provided)
*This discount cannot be combined with the Team or Ninja Kid Discounts.
Create a team and invite friends and family to join. The following discount applies to all team members once the 10th member registers:
Mini – $3
5k – $5
Ninja – $8
The previous 9 registrants will be refunded the amount listed above.
*This discount cannot be combined with the Multi-Event or Ninja Kid Discounts.
*Max team size is 15 ninjas.
**For groups larger than 15, they will need to register two or more teams for this event. (Team scores are scored by the top 2 male and top 2 female contestants of a team)
RACE DAY PROCEDURES
Pre-race packet pickup: Friday, September 23rd, 2022 from 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm at the Metro Richmond Zoo.
Race-day packet pickup: Saturday, September 24th, 2022 30-45 minutes before your start time.
LIMITED ACCESS SPECTATORS
Spectators can attend the Run Wild Races event free of charge with limited access to obstacles. This access is designated in the map below. Spectators can receive a 10% discount on zoo admission tickets the day of the race when entering with their racer.
Designated Spectator Zones
- Start and Finish Line Field
- Spectators cannot follow along the entire trail with the participating ninjas. However, they can spectate Animal Challenges, 1 and 8-14 from the parking lot.
- Spectators may bring lawn chairs to set up in the finish line field.
NINJA SPECTATOR – (FULL ACCESS SPECTATORS)
Ninja Full Access Spectators have the full access to spectate along the 2 mile course with their ninja participants. Ninja Spectators also receive FREE entry into the zoo for the day of the event.
- Access to the entire 2 mile ninja loop around the perimeter of the zoo.
- Access to the inside of the zoo on the day of the event.
- Pro tip: Ninja is not scored on time, so ninja spectators may bring portable chairs, snacks, and water along the way.
- *Ninja Spectators may add a shirt for a $15 fee.
All race participants will receive a free same day Zoo admission ticket with the purchase of any Run Wild Race ticket.
- Zoo ticket will be valid for the day of the race only.
- Zoo ticket may only be redeemed after race completion.
- Spectators can receive a 10% discount on admission tickets the day of the race when entering with their racer.
- Spectators cannot enter into the Zoo with a discounted entry before their participant has completed the race.
- Race wristbands are your admission into the race and the zoo.
- If a racer presents a cut, broken, or missing wrist band they will be denied access into the zoo.
RESPECT THE ZOO
Please be respectful of the Metro Richmond Zoo property, animals, and exhibits. No climbing over fences, leaving the trail, smoking, shouting, taunting animals, or playing music from speakers. We reserve the right to remove you from the race without a refund if you fail to follow these guidelines.
The Winners Prize
Mens & Womens 1st place
- A Pair of PEAK EXPERIENCES CLIMBING TICKETS
Mens & Womens 2nd and 3rd place
- 1 PEAK EXPERIENCES CLIMBING TICKET
Register to Race!
Register soon for the best price!