Run Wild 5k
Thru the zoo
& Around the zoo
Metro Richmond Zoo, VA
About the 5k
Run Wild in the Zoo!
This all-terrain 5k starts through the inside of the zoo then spans the perimeter of the Zoo.
The course passes many off-site facilities such as the Cheetah Conservation Center. Portions of the course route travel in between the two perimeter fences that surround the entire Zoo. The all-terrain course consists of mostly dirt, mulch, and grass trails with some gravel and asphalt pathways. The trail has winding turns, some rolling hills, bridges over many creeks, beautiful views, a few steep hills, and sights of exotic wildlife.
Run Wild 5k is one of 3 fundraiser events hosted at the Metro Richmond Zoo. Be sure to spot rhinos, zebras, cheetahs and other zoo animals along the race path! After you cross the finish line, each participant can visit the Zoo for FREE! Any spectators that come with you will receive a 10% discount off their zoo admission tickets for race day.
Next Race day countdown
Run wild 5k
The Race Details
- Metro Richmond Zoo
- Thru the inside of the zoo and then the perimeter of the zoo!
- Course makeup (gravel 15%, mulch 20%, dirt 40%, pavement 25%).
- Twice a year in spring and fall
- Next Fall Race:
- Saturday, September 30th 2023 at 8:00am
- Next Spring Race:
- Saturday, May 6th 2023 at 8:00am
- Entry to race
- Race bib and timed results
- Finishers Medal
- Event t-shirt
- FREE same day ticket into zoo
- Post race refreshments
- Support Animal Conservation
- 5K Runners must be at least 4 years old to run
- 5K Runners 4-11 years old must have a 5K ticketed chaperone run with them
- (Parents may designate a responsible older sibling or friend to participate with their kids ages 4-11.)
- At the start, middle, and end of the race.
- Parking is FREE. Please follow parking attendants as they will guide all runners/spectators into a designated parking lot.
Zoo Member Discount
If you are a current Zoo Member, follow the prompt at the end of registration to receive $5 off your entry.
Zoo Members must provide their membership card for validation on race day at the check-in; otherwise you will be charged the remaining $5 fee before race entry.
Early Registration Discount
Sign up early for the best discount!
Sign up for any 2 Run Wild events and receive a $10 discount. (only one event shirt is provided)
Sign up for all 3 Run Wild events and receive a $15 discount. (only one event shirt is provided)
*This discount cannot be combined with the Team or Ninja Kid Discounts.
Create a team and invite friends and family to join. The following discount applies to all team members once the 10th member registers:
Mini – $3
5k – $5
Ninja – $8
The previous 9 registrants will be refunded the amount listed above.
*This discount cannot be combined with the Multi-Event or Ninja Kid Discounts.
RACE DAY PROCEDURES
Pre-race packet pickup: Friday, September 29th, 2023 from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm at the Metro Richmond Zoo.
Race-day packet pickup: Saturday, September 30th, 2023 from 7:30 am – 8:15am.
Spectators can attend the Run Wild Races event free of charge. Spectators can receive a 10% discount on admission tickets the day of the race when entering with their racer.
Designated Spectator Zones
- Start and Finish Line Field
- Spectators may bring lawn chairs to set up in the finish line field.
- Each course is designed to provide spectators easy visibility of the runners for several hundred yards before they cross the finish line.
All race participants will receive a free same day Zoo admission ticket with the purchase of any Run Wild Race ticket.
- Zoo ticket will be valid for the day of the race only.
- Zoo ticket may only be redeemed after race completion.
- Spectators can receive a 10% discount on admission tickets the day of the race when entering with their racer.
- Spectators cannot enter into the Zoo with a discounted entry before their participant has completed the race.
- Race wristbands are your admission into the race and the zoo.
- If a racer presents a cut, broken, or missing wrist band they will be denied access into the zoo
RESPECT THE ZOO
Please be respectful of the Metro Richmond Zoo property, animals, and exhibits. No climbing over fences, leaving the trail, smoking, shouting, taunting animals, or playing music from speakers. We reserve the right to remove you from the race without a refund if you fail to follow these guidelines.
Run Wild 5k: For the safety of the animals, some will remain indoors (off exhibit) while racers run by their exhibits. These animals will be back on exhibit for the normal zoo hours.
The Winners Prizes:
Register to Race!
Register soon for the best price!